More than 160 years of history

The opening of the railways in Portugal, inaugurated on 28 October 1856, was one of the most important events of the time. Since then, there are many milestones down through the history of transport – from an initial project to build a rail link to the second city of Oporto and the border at Badajoz, it bloomed into a true railway network with domestic and foreign destinations, greatly contributing towards the country's development, bringing it closer to the rest of Europe.

A history that CP-Comboios de Portugal, E.P.E. Integrates and shares today.

From the first projects to the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses

19.12.1844: foundation of the 'Companhia das Obras Públicas de Portugal' the purpose of which was to conduct studies into building a railway in Portugal.

30.08.1852: creation of the ministry of public works, trade and industry.

30.08.1852: decree authorising the government o build a railway line which, starting Oporto, would join up with the line from Lisbon to the Spanish border, called the "Caminho de Ferro do Norte".

07.12.1852: report from the engineer, Thomaz Rumball, from Companhia Central Peninsular dos Caminhos de Ferro em Portugal, about a survey for a railway line between Lisbon and Santarém.

13.05.1853: agreement between the government and Hardy Hislop, director and representative of the Companhia Central Peninsular dos Caminhos de Ferro em Portugal, to build a railway line between Lisbon and the Spanish border, via Santarém.

24.07.1854: agreement between the government and Marquês de Ficalho and José Maria Eugénio de Almeida, representing a company, to build a railway line from Aldeia Galega to Vendas Novas, and other lines that could connect with it.

26.08.1854: additional contract between the government and the company represented by Marquês de Ficalho and José Maria Eugénio de Almeida, to connect the Tagus with the Sado, between Barreiro and Setúbal.

09.09.1854: decree approving the regulations of the Companhia Central Peninsular dos Caminhos de Ferro em Portugal.

06.02.1855: decree approving the articles of the Companhia Nacional de Caminho de Ferro ao Sul do Tejo.

16.07.1855: law authorising the government to start building a railway line from Cais dos Soldados in Lisbon to the border.

26.07.1855: law approving the project presented by Conde Claranges Lucotte, to build a railway line from Lisbon to Sintra.

--.08.1855: Thomaz Rumball presents a report to the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses, with a general plan for a railway line to the east.

15.12.1855: agreement between Fontes Pereira de Melo and Shaw & Waring Brothers, who rescind the contract with the Companhia Central Peninsular CFP.

--.12.1855: report from Watier about the construction of railways in Portugal.

07.02.1856: government order requesting F. Watier to contunue with building the railway line from Lisbon to Santarém.

28.06.1856: government order handing back the oversight of the building works for the Lisbon to Santarém line to the Companhia do Caminho de Ferro de Leste.

23.09.1856: publication of the police regulations for the railways in Portugal.

28.10.1856: opening of the stretch between Lisbon and Carregado, on the eastern line to traffic, with a 1.44m gauge track, inauguration of the railway in Portugal.

04.06.1857: law authorising the government to enter into an agreement with the company represented by Sir Morton Petto, to build the northern line, and to rescind the contract signed with the Companhia Central Peninsular Caminho de Ferro em Portugal for the Lisbon/Santarém line.

09.07.1857: decree dissolving the Companhia Central Peninsular Caminho de Ferro em Portugal.

30.07.1857: opening of the stretch between Carregado and Virtudes to traffic.

15.09.1857: beginning of high-speed goods transport.

25.10.1857: report on the recognition of the banks of the Tagus for the possible construction of a railway line, produced by Joaquim Nunes de Aguiar.

31.05.1858: government order authorising he public operation of the railway line between Barreiro and Bombel.

01.11.1858: beginning of low-speed freight transport.

06.06.1859: decree rescinding the agreement with Sir Samuel Morton Peto to build a railway line from Lisbon to Oporto.

16.07.1859: the council of public works and mines presents the government with the programme for a tender to build a railway line from Vendas Novas to Évora and Beja.

30.07.1859: decree opening a tender to continue the construction and operation of the Caminho de Ferro de Norte e Leste.

14.09.1859: agreement with D. José de Salamanca for the construction and operation of the Caminho de Ferro de Norte e Leste.

23.11.1859: decree approving the articles of the company called "Sociedade Anónima dos CF e Docas de Lisboa".

22.12.1859: decree approving the articles of the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses.

03.01.1860: agreement between the government and the Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro do Sueste, to build a railway line from Vendas Novas to Évora and Beja.

11.05.1860: the first shareholder meeting of the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses is held in Paris.

12.05.1860: the Société Générale de Crédit  Industrielle et Comerciale is appointed by the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses to operate as its bank.

20.06.1860: decree declaring the constitution of the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses.

22.06.1860: António Augusto de Melo Archer is appointed by government orderas I commissioner at the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses.

05.09.1860: first shareholders' meeting of the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses is held in Lisbon.

13.10.1860: deeds assigning the eastern and northern lines from the concessionaire D. José de Salamanca to Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses.

05.12.1860: decree that approves the regulations for the supervision of the railway.

Maria Pia bridge construction01.02.1861: the stretch between Barreiro and Vendas Novas on the southern line is opened to the public with a 1.44, gauge.

01.02.1861: the stretch between Pinhal Novo and Setúbal on the Sado line is opened to traffic.

18.03.1861: the shares of the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses are quoted on the Paris bourse.

06.08.1861: contract by which the government acquires the Barreiro/Vendas Novas railway and the Setúbal branch line from the Companhia Nacional dos Caminhos de Ferro ao Sul do Tejo.

07.08.1861: the government tales over the southern line and the Setúbal branch line.

01.12.1861: the government signs a concession contract for the Sueste line with Hardy Hislop.

--.--.1861: the gauge of the eastern line is changed from 1.44 m to 1.67 m.

05.05.1862: government order approving the Lisbon station for the northern and eastern lines.

11.10.1862: the construction company ask the government to do away with the 2nd track on metal bridges.

10.11.1862: the ministry of public works, trade and industry authorises the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses to issue 25,000 bonds of 500 Fr./each with a yield of 3% a year.

19.11.1862: temporary opening of the stretch of the northern line between Estarreja and Gaia to traffic.

02.12.1862: accident on the Ribeira de Sôr bridge on the eastern line.

18.02.1863: government order authorising the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses to issue 65,000 bonds of 500 Fr./each with a yield of 3% a year.

14.07.1863: a traffic tax of 5% is imposed on rail passengers and freight.

23.07.1863: the articles of the Companhia do Sueste are approved.

14.09.1863: the stretch of line between Casa Branca and Évora, on the Évora line is opened to traffic.

24.09.1863: the line from Lisbon to the border is opened to traffic, completing the eastern line.

21.04.1864: agreement between the government and the Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro do Sul e Sueste to prolong the Beja line down to the Algarve, adjudicating them the southern line and the Setúbal branch line.

28.06.1864: government order that authorises posts to sell tickets and receive goods at the central stations in Lisbon.

--.--.1864: the gauge of the southern li8ne is changed from 1.44 m to 1.67 m.

06.04.1865: start of arbitration between the general contractor for building the eastern and northern lines, José de Salamanca, and the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses, chaired by Mr Talabot.

01.05.1865: inauguration of the main eastern and northern railway station (Lisbon's Santa Apolónia).

25.06.1865: the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses starts operations on the northern and eastern lines, which had been run by the construction company.

26.09.1865: the signal regulation is approved for the northern and eastern lines.

27.11.1865: agreement between D. José de Salamanca and the government to build the 5th section of the northern line between – Gaia and Oporto.

27.04.1866: Portugal and Spain sign a free transit agreement for the railways.

23.05.1866: decree rescinding the agreement with the Companhia do Sueste as it was not meeting the agreed conditions.

01.07.1866: the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses suspends bond dividend payments.

02.07.1867: law authorising the government to build and operate railway lines from, Oporto to Braga and to the border with Galicia and from Oporto to Pinhão.

01.04.1868: inauguration of a direct service between Lisbon and Madrid, for 1st class passengers.

11.04.1868: the police and operating regulations for the railways are approved.

12.03.1869: the government takes over the Caminhos de Ferro do Sul e Sueste – the first step in the stet railways.

25.10.1869: decree granting the Duque de Saldanha a licence to establish a railway line using the Larmanjat system on the Lisbon to Leiria road passing through Lumiar, Torres Vedras, Caldas da Rainha and Alcobaça.

28.10.1869: decree setting the pay rates for inspection personnel on the northern and eastern lines.

02.11.1869: opening of the stretch of the Sueste line betwee Beja and Quintos to traffic.

03.05.1871: complaints books appear at the northern and eastern railway stations.

11.07.1871: the Duque de Saldanha is granted a licence to build a railway line using the Larmanjat system between Lisbon and Sintra.

29.08.1871: the Duque de Saldanha is granted a licence to to build a railway line using the Larmanjat system between Belém and Cascais.

06.06.1872: Pedro Inácio Lopes is appointed to lead the studies for the 5th section of the northern line (crossing the Douro).

14.06.1872: decree ordering the construction of a railway line from Oporto to Galicia, via Braga and Viana do Castelo, the Minho lines and the studies of the Vale de Sousa, via Penafiel to Pinhão, the Douro line.

18.06.1872: the Caminhos de Ferro do Sul do Tejo staff humanitarian association articles are approved.

08.07.1872: building works begin on the Minho line.

30.01.1873: eight-day strike by train drivers, stokers and workers at the northern and eastern workshops.

18.03.1873: government order calling for a project to build a railway line from Abrantes to the Spanish border (Monfortinho) from Joaquim J. de Almeida.

31.05.1873: decree approving the issue of bonds for the construction of the Minho and Douro railway.

19.06.1873: decree granting J. C. Temple Elliot and Baron Kesseler the narrow-gauge railway between Oporto and Póvoa do Varzim.

08.07.1873: inauguration of construction works on the Douro line.

28.07.1873: inauguration of the Larmanjat system railway between Lisbon and Sintra.

02.09.1873: government order charging the Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro do Minho with building bthje Oporto railway station to handle the northern, Minho and Douro railways.

30.04.1874: the Board of Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses decides to build a primary school for workers' children in Entroncamento.

05.01.1875: work starts on the Maria Pia bridge over the river Douro, on the northern line.

26.02.1875: a law authorises the government to exempt taxes on goods carried at low speed for 36 years on the northern and eastern lines.

09.04.1875: government order charges Bento Fortunato de Moura Coutinho de Eça to draw up a definitive project to build the Caminho de Ferro da Beira Alta, taking into consideration the projects that had been abandoned by Francisco Maria de Sousa Brandão, Boaventura José Vieira and Félix Combelles.

09.04.1875: government order charges Francisco Maria de Sousa Brandão o draw up a definitive project to build the Caminho de Ferro da Beira Baixa.

21.05.1875: opening of the stretch of the Minho line between Campanhã and Nine to traffic.

21.05.1875: opening of the Braga branch line to traffic.

07.06.1875: government order approving the 5th section of the northern line (crossing the Douro).

22.06.1875: the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses awards the construction of the bridge over the river Douro to Eiffel et Compagnie.

22.06.1875: the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses decides to replace the iron rails with steel ones.

01.07.1875: government order charging army colonel Nuno Augusto de Brito Taborda, Director of the Caminho de Ferro do Sueste,to draw up a definitive plan for the Algarve railway.

01.07.1875: decree ordering the construction of the Algarve railway, issued by the government.

30.07.1875: opening of the Ermesinde to Penafiel stretch of the Douro line to traffic.

01.10.1875: opening of the railway line from Oporto to Boavista and Póvoa do Varzim, on the Litoral do Minho line to traffic.

26.01.1876: the government launches a tender to build the Beira Alta, Beira Baixa and Algarve lines.

19.04.1877: decree authorising the Companhia Real Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses to construct and operate a branch line on the eastern line to the border beside Cáceres – the Cáceres branch (Torre das Vargens/Valência de Alcântara/Cáceres).

10.07.1877: government order joining the boards of the Minho and Douro railways.

21.08.1877: government order authorising the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses to issue of 90,000 bonds to fund the construction of the Cáceres branch.

21.07.1877: agreement signed with M. Maret to prolong the Torre das Vargens/Valência de Alcântara line to Spain.

07.10.1877: the Companhia Ferroviária Madrid/Cáceres/Portugal is set up in Spain.

04.11.1877: opening of the bridge over the river Douro on the northern line

05.11.1877: opening of the stretch of the northern line between Gaia and Campanhã to traffic.

15.07.1878: construction work starts on the Cáceres branch line.

07.08.1878: opening of the stretch of the Famalicão line between Póvoa do Varzim and Fontainhas to traffic.

08.01.1879: the articles of the Caminho de Ferro da Beira Alta are published.

--.01.1879: the Companhia Minho District Railway Company Limited, concessionaire of the Santo Tirso to Guimarães line is declared bankrut.

--.--.1879: Mr Miguel Correia Pais presents a project to build a rial-road bridge between Grilo and Montijo.

04.04.1880: the stretch of the Douro line betwen Régua and Ferrão is opened to traffic.

01.06.1880: the stretch of the Douro line between Ferrão and Pinhãos opened to traffic.

06.06.1880: the stretch of the Cáceres branch line between Torre das Vargens and Valência de Alcântara is opened to traffic.

23.06.180: law authorising the construction of a broad-gauge branch line from Oporto Campanhã station to connect th8e Minho and northern line with the customs house.

12.06.1881: opening of the stretch of the Famalicão line between Fontainhas and Famalicão to traffic.

01.10.1881: opening of the stretch of the Valência line between Alcântara and Madrid to traffic.

01.07.1882: opening of the stretch of the Beira Alta line between Figueira da Foz and the border, via Vilar Formoso.

03.08.1882: official inauguration of the Beira Alta line.

06.08.1882: opening of the stretch of the Minho line between Segadães and Valença to traffic.

12.10.1882: agreement between the government and the “Sindicato Portuense" (Oporto boats), to build the Salamanca/Barca de Alva and Salamanca/Vilar Formoso lines.

26.04.1883: law establishing the conditions to build the Beira Baixa line and the Mirandela and Viseu branches.

01.09.1883: opening of the stretch of the Douro line between Pinhão ad Tua (rightbank) to traffic.

07.11.1883: the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses is awarded the Beira Baixa line.

23.11.1883: concession contract of the oeste line (Torres Vedras/Figueira/Alfarelos) to Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses.

14.12.1883: the articles of the Sul e Sueste railway assistance chest approved.

31.12.1883: opening of the stretch of the Guimarães line between Trofa and Vizela to traffic.

14.04.1884: opening of the stretch of the Guimarães line between Vizela and Guimarães to traffic.

17.09.1884: decree ordering the state to conclude ad operate all the Caminho de Ferro do Sul e Sueste network.

25.06.1885: the articles of the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses are approved.

29.07.1885: definitive contract between the government and the Marquez da Foz, Visconde de Macieira, Fernando Palha and Henrique Moser, to build and operate the Viseu branch line.

05.09.1885: public deed to operate the Lisbon to Sintra and Torres Vedras and its branch from the Companhia Concessionária - Henry Burnay – to the Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses.

18.10.1885: opening of the Coimbra branch line (Coimbra-B to Coimbra-A city) to traffic.

25.03.1886: opening of the international branch between Valença and Galicia to traffic.

07.07.1886: license granting the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses the right to build and operate the branch from Santa Apolónia to São Domingos de Benfica.

10.01.1887: opening of the stretch of the Douro loine between Tua and Pocinho to traffic.

14.02.1887: opening of the stretch of the Sueste loine between Serpa and Pias to traffic.

02.04.1887: opening of the stretch of the Oeste line betwen Alcântara-Terra and Cacém to traffic.

02.04.1887: opening of the Sintra branch line (Cacém and Sintra) to traffic.

09.04.1887: the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses is granted the Cascais to Santa Apolónia branch line.

09.04.1887: license granting the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses the right to build and operate the Lisbon cintura line.

05.05.1887: opening of the stretch of the Douro line between Pocinho and Côa to traffic.

21.05.1887: opening of the stretch of the Oeste line between Cacém and Torres Vedras to traffic.

01.08.1887: opening of the stretch of the Oeste line between Torres Vedras and Leiria to traffic.

22.09.1887: license approving the new articles of the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses.

22.09.1887: license granting the Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro dos Meridionais the right to build and operate the Setil line to Vendas Novas.

29.09.1887: opening of the stretch of the Tura line between Tua and Mirandela to traffic.

04.11.1887: the Sud Expresso starts running on the Lisbon/Madrid/Paris and Calais route.

09.12.1887: opening of a direct rail service from Oporto to Salamanca, via Barca de Alva.

18.01.1888: government order authorising the construction of an urban railway line in Oporto.

20.05.1888: opening of the stretch of the Lisbon urban railway line between Benfica, Sete Rios, Chelas and Xabregas to traffic.

17.07.1888: opening of the stretch of the Oeste line between Leiria and Figueira da Foz to traffic, completing this line.

06.09.1888: agreement between the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses and the Comp. de Los Ferrocarriles del Oeste de Espanha, to operate the Plasência to Astorga line, on behalf of the former.

25.09.1888: handing over ceremony of the Minho international bridge to the operating department of the Caminhos de Ferro do Minho e Douro.

08.11.1888: opening of the Alfândega branch line between Campanhã and Porto-Alfândega to traffic.

22.02.1889: public deeds between the Companhia do Caminho de Ferro do Mondego and Eugène Beraud, to build the Coimbra to Arganil line.

01.07.1889: opening of the stretch of the southern line between Amoreiras and Faro to traffic.

30.09.1889: opening of the stretch of the Cascais line between Pedrouços and Cascais to traffic.

30.09.1889: opening of the 2nd track on the stretch of the Cascais line between Pedrouços and Caxias to traffic.

04.12.1889: licence approving the articles of the Companhia das Docas do Porto and the Caminhos de Ferro Peninsulares.

15.04.1890: opening of the 2nd track on the stretch of the eastern line between Olivais and Carregado to traffic.

11.06.1890: inauguration of Rossio central station.

01.10.1890: opening of the 2nd track on the stretch of the Cascais line between Caxias and Estoril to traffic.

25.11.1890: opening of the Dão line (Santa Comba Dão and Viseu) to traffic.

06.12.1890: opening of the stretch of the Cascais line between Alcântara-Mar and Pedrouços to traffic.

Locomotiva a vapor Cp 355 em Campolide - 1911

16.03.1891: opening of the 2nd track on the stretch of the eastern line between Carregado and Azambuja to traffic.

18.05.1891: public deeds between the Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro Meridionais and Pedro Inácio Lopes to build, by contract, the Vendas Novas to Sant’Anna line.

19.05.1891: opening of the 2nd track on the stretch of the eastern line between Azambuja and Sant’Anna to traffic.

25.05.1891: opening of Verride junction to traffic.

11.06.1891: opening of the Lisbon urban line (Lisboa-Rossio/Campolide) to traffic.

10.08.1891: opening of the stretch between Alcantâra-Terra and Alcantâra-Mar to traffic.

06.09.1891: opening to the stretch of the Beira Baixa line between Abrantes and Covilhã to traffic.

05.09.1891: conclusion of the stretch of the Lisbon urban line between Campolide, Sete Rios, and e Braço de Prata.

23.10.1891: the Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro dos Meridionais signs an agreement with Casa Eiffel to build bridges over the Tagus, Valas da Azambuja and Muge.

11.11.1891: the Visconde de Roboreda and Alexandre de Saldanha da Gama ask for a concession, without state aid to build a narow-gauge line between Sesimbra and Seixal.

11.06.1892: the Minho and Douro railways present a programme of calls for tenders to build the Oporto central railway station and related buildings, earthworks, tunnels, supporting walls, aqueducts and all the infrastructures the line needs between Pinheiro station and the central station.

06.05.1893: opening of the Matosinhos branch line between Senhora da Hora and Matosinhos to traffic.

11.05.1893: opening of the stretch of the Beira Baixa line between Covilhã and Guarda to traffic.

09.11.1893: a law is published regulating railway company bankruptcies.

11.11.1893: a decree appoints an Administrative Commission for the Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses.

13.11.1893: Lisbon Commercial Court declared the suspension of payment to the Companhia Real CFP.

16.01.1894: publication of a Conversion Project between the Companhia Real CFP and its creditors.

30.11.1894: license approving the new articles of the Companhia Real CFP.

--.11.1894: strike by Companhia Real CFP workshop employees.

04.09.1895: opening of the stretch of the Cascais liner between Cais do Sodré and Alcantâra-Marto traffic, completing the line.

08.11.1896: opening of the Oporto urban line between Oporto-Campanhã and Oporto-S. Bento to traffic.

23.01.1897: agreement between the Companhia Real CFP and the Boardofthe Minho and Douro railways, for Companhia Real trains to use the Minho and Douro line between Oporto and Campanhã.

06.10.1898: technical commissions are appointed to study a higher seed system for the regions north of the Mongedo and south of the Tagus.

09.12.1898: decree organising the taxes on railway operations not run by the government.

10.10.1899: opening of the stretch of the Portimão branch line between Tunes and Algoz to traffic.

15.02.1900: a general plan for railway lines north of the Mondego is approved.

31.01.1901: publication of the state railways said and retirement chest general regulations.

01.07.1901: government order authorising the board of the state railways to build the first stretch of the Barreiro/Cacilhas line between Barreiro station and the right bank of the Ribeira de Coina.

19.05.1902: opening of the 2nd track on the stretch of the northern line between Gaia and Granja.

13.11.1902: setting up of the Maria Amélia school at Casa Branca station (southern line), to teach Caminhos de Ferro do Sul e Sueste employees and their children.

27.11.1902: decree approving the general plan for the railway network south of the Tagus.

18.02.1903: decree ordering to proceed with the construction of the line between Régua and the border on behalf of the state.

15.01.1904: opening of the Setil/Vendas Novas line to traffic, establishing a connection between the north and south of the Tagus.

01.08.1905: opening of the stretch between Estremoz and Vila Viçosa, concluding the Évora line.

27.12.1905: opening of the stretch of the Sueste line between Pias and Mora, concluding then line.

01.01.1906: the Sud Expresso service starts running every day.

10.01.1906: contract awarding Jorge Colaço the contract to decorate the interior of Oporto's main station atrium with glazed tiles.

14.04.1906: opening of the stretch of the southern line between Tavira and Vila Real de Santo António, concluding the lien.

12.05.1906: opening the stretch of the Corgo line between Régua and Vila Real to traffic.

16.12.1906: opening of the stretch between Coimbra and Lousã.

05.02.1907: agreement awarding the concession of the Vale do Vouga line.

20.04.1907: opening of the stretch of the Mora line between Évora and Arraiolos to traffic.

06.04.1908: government order approving the project to expand Santa Apolónia station.

11.07.1908: opening of the stretch of the Mora line between Pavia and Mora, concluding the line.

07.08.1908: an agreement is signed handing over the traction system and the operating rent of the Cascais line to Sociedade Estoril.

04.10.1908: opening of the Montijobranch line to traffic.

21.12.1908: opening of the stretch of the Vouga line between Espinho and Oliveira de Azeméis to traffic.

21.03.1909: opening of the stretch of the Tâmega line between Livração and Amarante to traffic.

02.09.1909: opening of the Montemor branch line to traffic.

16.11.1910: strike (until 21.11.1910) by workers from the Companhia de Caminhos de Ferro do Porto à Póvoa e Famalicão, demanding back-pay.

25.11.1910: strike (until 03.12.1910) by workers from Minho and Douro, to reduce working hours and increase pay.

11.01.1911: strike (until 16.01.1911) of railway workers across the country.

26.01.1911: the Companhia Real CFP gives all its staff free passes as the result of the strike on this date.

08.09.1911: opening of the Aveiro branch line between Aveiro and Sernada.

17.09.1911: opening of the stretch of the Sabor line between Pocinho and Carviçais to traffic.

14.01.1912: creation of the Companhia dos CF Portugueses workers' union.

--. 01.1912: strike by Barreiro railway loaders.

24.05.1913: the articles of the CF Portugueses workers' union are approved.

18.07.1913: the Paialvo to Tomar railway line, with a connection to the northern line is granted granted to Tomar town council.

--. 09.1913: opening of the S. Roque branch line between Aveiro and Canal de S. Roque to traffic.

26.11.1913: the Companhia de CF da Beira Alta company agent retirement chest regulations are approved.

14.01.1914: CP worker strike, caused by the publication of new pension and retirement regulations, issued without taking into consideration the proposals by a commission of staff delegates ad unions. The strike ended with nine days of stoppages with attacks and derailments.

22.02.1914: CP strike until 27 February.

Linha de Cascais automotora Electrica de 2ª classe - 1926

17.04.1915: conclusion of the decoration work in the atrium of Oporto's main station with glazed tiles.

1915/_ /_ : conclusion of the Vale do Sado line.

28.02.1916: government order authorising a 25% surcharge on the4 fares charged on state lines and those belonging to the Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses, to reduce higher operating costs because of the war to to increase wages.

05/10/2016: opening of the new São Bento station in Oporto.

11.04.1917: law authorising the government to grant the state railways and extra 400.000$00 to build the Vale do Sado, Barreiro and Cacilhas, Évora to Reguengos and Portimão to Lagos lines.

03.06.1918: railway worker strike on, Beira Alta, Vale do Vouga, Companhia Nacional and Guimarães railways.

18.07.1918: railway worker strike on the sul e sueste lines for the immediate application of the staffing levels given in the suspended decree 4.206 and against a tax on income that included state railway workers.

14.01.1919: railway worker strike on the sul e sueste lines, demanding the release and readmission of colleagues who had been arrested and sacked following the 18 November 1918 strike.

15.03.1919: government order authorising CP to keep charging the 57% surcharge on all fares up to six months after the signing of the peace treaty.

28.04.1919: publication of decree law 5,451, which grants CP 75% of the fare surcharge increase.

28.04.1919: publication of decree law 5,452, which authorises the government to collect up to 15 million escudos by issuing government debt securities, to improve and build state railway lines.

02.07.1919: strike on CP, Companhia Beira Alta and Nacional demanding better pay, single community chest systems or the standardisation of retirement, pension and assistance systems.

--.07.1919:in order to try and stop the sabotage of the railway lines, the government decides that arrested strikers escorted by soldiers are put into open wagons pushed in front of the locomotives – "ghost wagons".

28.02.1920: strike by state railway workers.

19.03.1920: strike by Sociedade Estoril railway workers for better pay.

05.10.1920: the CP railway workers join the strike organised by the state railway line workers. The CP Sapper Battalion starts using the “ghost wagon” again.

21.07.1921: government order authorising the state railway board to hire William Beardmore & Cª Ltd. To supply the materials needed to build the new workshops at Barreiro.

04.02.1922: Sociedade Estoril railway worker strike, caused by the sacking of 11 people who protested against the company not obeying the 8-hour day rule.

29.04.1922: the Board approves the Executive Commission's decision of 19 April to increase the passenger fare surcharge from 200% to 250%.

--.07.1922: start of a strike followed by a lock-out at the CP workshops, depots and reserves: the staff had started the strike against overtime, and work by tasks, demanding better pay and the re-establishment of the benefits they got before the1920 strike.

08.09.1922: other sul e sueste workers join the strike declared by Lisbon workers against the adoption of two kinds of bread.

28.11.1922: the Board decides to do away with the post of company general sub-director, as a means of rationalising costs.

20.02.1923: an order establishing an attendance bonus of 10% on each month's wages for workers at the Companhia CFP traction and general workshop.

29.07.1923: opening of the Cacilhas branch line (Lavradio/Seixal) to traffic.

30.10.1923: sul e sueste railway workers' strike.

01.01.1924: the Vale do Vouga assistance and retirement chest regulations are approved.

21.01.1924: opening of the stretch of the Martingança/Mendiga line between Martingança and Batalha to traffic.

20.03.1924: opening of the Doca-Viana branch line to traffic.

09.05.1924: the articles of the Instituto Ferroviário do Sul e Sueste are approved.

11.05.1924: a decree creating commissions to automatically manage the Railway worker TB assistance fund.

--.07.1924: CP restarts payment of the coupons of its bonds, along with the statutory amortisations suspended since 1918.

22.05.1925: CP approves the projects to build workers' houses along its lines.

19.08.1925: government order to start the studies for as railway line from Lagos to Sines.

23.08.1925: opening of the stretch of the Portalegre line between Estremoz and Sousel to traffic.

29.05.1926: the sul e sueste workers, organised by their union and by a committee led by Miguel Correia, paralyse all passenger and freight services, only allowing the carriage of troops.

02.06.1926: the general director tells the executive commission that the state of the rolling stock and the Beira Alta bridges will not support the weight of CP's heavy locomotives.

15.08.1926: electric traction is inaugurated on the Cascais line.

21.08.1926: the electric traction service is suspended on the Cascais line.

15.11.1926: CP presents the government with a proposal to build and operate a narrow-gauge line between Tomar
and Nazaré, with a branch to Leiria.

16.11.1926: publication of decree 12.684, which opens a call for tenders among Portuguese companies for the concession to operate the state railway lines (Minho and Douro, Sul e Sueste).

22.12.1926: electric traction is re-established on the Cascais line.

03.02.1927: the sul e sueste workers go out on strike in support of the revolution, paralysing traffic south of the Tagus and gathering all the rolling stock at Casa Branca, to which the government responds by the military occupation of the railway facilities and closed the union.

09.03.1927: decree authorising the government to agree with CP the renting of the state railway lines.

06.04.1927: opening of the stretch of the Guadiana line between Évora and Reguengos de Monsaraz to traffic.

09.04.1927: opening of the stretch of the Sines line between Ermidas-Sado and São Bartolomeu da Serra to traffic.

11.05.1927: CP takes possession of the state railway lines.

17.06.1927: publication of decree law 13,829, that creates the administrative commission of the special railway fund.

25.06.1927: decree standardising the new railway system and creating the special railway fund.

01.07.1927: CP grants the same benefits to its staff as to the retires of the state railways.

30.09.1927: the express service to Madrid starts running every day.

19.11.1927: decree law 14,775 giving CP the Arganil to Santa Comba Dão.

Automotoras 1947

02.03.1928: a commission is appointed to study the problems of the railway stations in Lisbon, particularly the relations with river and maritime transport.

18.08.1928: the new Cais do Sodré station on the Cascais line, designed by the architect Pardal Monteiro, is opened.

24.09.1928: opening of the Tomar branch line to traffic.

16.11.1928: a commission is appointed to study and decide where to build the Sul e Sueste general workshops.

17.12.1928: publication of decree law 16,242, which approves the regulations of the state railway pensions and retirement chest.

02.06.1929: opening of the Aljustrel branch line to traffic.

05.07.1929: publication of decree 17,073, approving the regulations for railway company sanitary services.

22.03.1930: government order appointing a commission composed of engineers Estêvão Torres, José Fernando de Sousa, António de Vasconcelos Correia, Leopoldo Marques Poole da Costa and Eduardo Aguiar Bragança, to study the services that the railway in and around Oporto should provide.

10.04.1930: decree law 18,190 which approved the general plan of the mainland railway network.

02.05.1930: takeover contract for CP of the Beira Alta line operations and rolling stock.

21.07.1930: inauguration of a design school for apprentices at traction and rolling stock workshops at Barreiro.

11.09.1930: opening of the stretch of the Martingança-Mendiga line betwen Batalha and Porto de Mós, concluding the line.

14.11.1930: government order appointing a commission to conduct a detailed inquiry into operating possibilities, fare alterations, any causes for traffic to to retreat or pull away from the Algarve and Minho lines and to propose any measures they judge necessary.

27.03.1931: the report from the sub-commission appointed to study the Oporto stations says a new double track bridge is needed.

28.10.1931: the special, new works commission approves a study by Vicente Ferreira for a new Lisbon station on grounds near Areeiro, between the Instituto Superior Técnico and Av. Almirante Reis.

31.12.1931: publication of decree law 20,692, which approves the new CP articles.

--.--. 1931: the CP board approves a contract with Fried Krupf A. G. Germaniawter, to supply a diesel powered boat called "Évora", for the crossing between Lisbon and Barreiro.

18.03.1932: the executive commission authorises the opening of a central depot in Leiria and the establishment of routes between Lisbon/Leiria, proposals made by Sociedade de Automóveis Cruz de Cristo, Lda., concessionaire of the combined routes between Valado station and Alcobaça, to fight competition from direct Lisbon to Leiria routes.

20.03.1932: opening of the stretch of the Tâmega line between Chapa and Celorico de Basto to traffic, completing the line.

28.05.1932: inauguration of the new Lisboan-Terreiro do Paço station, designed by Cottinelli Telmo.

20.07.1932: the Board approve the executive commission resolution that CP should be called "Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses - Sociedade Anónima de Responsabilidade Limitada", because of its new articles.

15.08.1932: opening of the 2nd track between Lavradio and Pinhal Novo on the southern line.

25.10.1932: opening of the Aveiro-Mar branch line to traffic (Aveiro-Vouga and Canal de S. Roque).

30.05.1933: CP decides to carry passengers by bus on the Montijo, Montemor and Seixal branch lines, while still running two freight trains a day.

--.06.1933: work starts on the new Sul e Sueste workshops in Barreiro.

06.08.1933: inauguration of the"popular expresses"; the first was between Lisbon and Tomar.

20.12.1933: government order setting up a commission of engineers, composed of Henrique Kopke, Jaime ferreira, Jorge Malheiro, Rogério Vasco Ramalho and Zacarias José Santana, to study abroad (France, Switzerland, Germany, Sweden and Holland) the use of rail-cars on the CP lines.

02.04.1934: decree law 23,733 says that the the former agents of the state railway lines which, through a rental agreement became a CP service are submitted, for disciplinary purposes, only to its regulations, so long as they are approved by the government.

01.05.1934: attempted strike at CP. Several railway workers are arrested at Santa Apolónia.

09.05.1934: government order appointing a commission composed of engineers Henrique Kopke, Jaime Ferreira, Jorge Malheiro, Manuel de Paiva Couceiro and Rogério Vasco Ramalho, to study the adoption of rolling stock to improve railway operations.

17.11.1935: the national union of south of Portugal railway workers is formed.

22.12.1935: inauguration of the Portuguese national railway workers' union.

28.03.1936: the under-secretary of state of corporations and social welfare appoints a commission to study the unification of the various retirement and pension chests.

17.06.1936: CP joins the Grémio dos Industriais de Transportes em Automóveis (Road transport association) so it can operate bus routes.

20.07.1936: the Sud Expresso service is suspended because of the Spanish civil war.

16.08.1936: the national railway union of central Portugal and workshop and warehouse personnel in formed in Entroncamento.

14.09.1936: opening of the stretch of the Sines line between Santiago de Cacém and Sines, completing the lien.

03.01.1937: publication of general order 251, with the concessions to company workers: 12 days paid leave a year; medical assistance; medical assistance for their wives, unmarried daughters and under-age sons.

20.01.1937: opening of the stretch of the Portalegre line between Sousel and Cabeço de Vide to traffic, completing the line.

22.04.1937: the Board of the Beira Alta line say that the Spanish civil war has made them alter rail communications in the company's areas and it has had to abandon international passenger and freight traffic, limiting its operations to domestic traffic.

24.01.1938: publication of general order 256, with the concessions for female workers when they have a baby: 30 days off plus an extra 1/3 of their wages if they have been in the company for more than 1 year.

18.03.1938: publication of law 1,965 authorising railway companies to charge an extra of no more than 10% when there is an increase in the price of coal and metal, compared with prices in 1936, with an exception for wheat and flour.

20.07.1938: opening of the Oporto cintura line to traffic.

15.09.1938: the regulations of the north of Portugal railway workers social chest are approved.

18.09.1938: opening of the Ermesinde branch to traffic.

30.10.1938: opening of the stretch of the Guimarães line between Porto Trindade and the Boavista fork to traffic, completing the line.

05.04.1939: the executive commission authorised changing the name of Cacém station to "Agualva-Cacém".

01.08.1939: the Sud Expresso service restarts.

06.09.1939: contract between CP and Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Company, to supply metal carriages.

--.--.1939: start of adapting the steam locomotives to burn oil, due to problems in getting coal.

28.05.1940: contract between CP and the CGD bank for a loan of 20.000,000 escudos to buy coal and other supplies.

08.08.1940: inauguration of the Budd carriages, Lisbon-Oporto and Oporto-Belém trains, bringing passengers down to the Portuguese world exhibition.

10.10.1940: contract between CP and The English Electric Company Limited, to supply 12 diesel locomotives.

01.11.1940: the Sud Expresso is suspended again because of the 2nd World War.

04.12.1940: CP is represented at the Portuguese world exhibition in the ports and railways pavilion.

05.12.1940: the coal trade regulation commission orders 15,600 tons of American coal for CP's requirements.

28.04.1941: the Board d3ecides to cancel some trains as of 03.05.1941, as a way of reducing coal consumption.

01.06.1941: the holiday colony for workers' children is inaugurated at Praia das Maçãs.

11.02.1942: the Board says that coal shortages have meant that passenger services have been cut back by 48% and freight services by 16%.

27.05.1942: contract between CP and Otto Wolff to supply 500 wagons.

19.08.1942: agreement between the Portuguese railway companies and RENFE, regulating the circulation of special goods trains (block trains), between Portuguese stations and the Spanish-French border at Hendaia-Irun, Canfrac and Cerbère-Port Bou.

17.12.1942: contract between CP and Otto Wolf, to supply 20 diesel-electric rail cars.

31.12.1942: the Companhia Nacional de CF asks CP to give them foreign coal so they can ensure their service on the Trás-os-Montes lines.

01.01.1943: publication of decree law 32,192, that applies family subsidies to railway workers working for CP, Sociedade Estoril and Beira Alta.

20.03.1943: publication of decree law 29,951, that authorises railway companies to borrow money from state banks or other credit operations destined for the purchase of rolling stock and to bolster reserves and incomes indispensable for the trains to run.

23.07.1943: inauguration of the Lusitânia Expresso, linking Lisbon and Madrid, a luxury train with 1st and 2nd class metal carriages and sleeping cars.

21.01.1944: opening of the stretch of line between Cabeço de Vide and Portalegre to traffic.

12.04.1944: contract between the company and La Maquinista Terrestre Y marítima, Construcciones Devis, and Sociedad Espanhola de Construcciones Babcock & Wilcox, to supply six steam engines.

10.06.1944:opening of the line between Cruz Quebrada and Estádio Nacional to traffic.

25.08.1944: contract between CP and the American Locomotive Company to buy 22 steam locomotives (ten on behalf of theb special railway fund) and spare parts.

07.03.1945: due to fuel shortages, CP reduces its services.

10.03.1945: the communication ministry authorises the reduction of services for two months on the Oeste, Minho, Douro and southern lines as of 17 March.

17.07.1945: contract between CP and the Companhia da Beira Alta, to regulate the exchange of rolling stock and tools.

07.09.1945: publication of law 2008, that lays out the plan to replace all broad- and narrow-gauge railway line concessions with a single concession.

06.06.1946: contract between CP and Nydqvist & Holm Aktiebolag (Noahb) to buy six rail cars with 2-axle bogies.

28.12.1946: public deed transferring the Companhia da Beira Alta concession to CP.

30.12.1946: public deed transferring the Companhia do Vale do Vouga concession to CP.

22.01.1947: CP decides that the passenger service on the Oporto cintura line (Contumil-Leixões), which had only had a 3rd class service since 1939, would have two classes (2nd and 3rd)

27.03.1947: inauguration of the Lusitânia Expresso.

15.04.1947: Leixões dock gets a rail link to the rail network.

11.06.1947: the works needed for diesel-electric locomotives to come into service are authorised.

16.06.1947: contract between CP and the American Locomotive Company, to supply 12 diesel-electric locomotives, 6 for the special railway fund and the others for CP.

26.06.1947: contract between CP and Schindler Wagons SA, to supply 65 carriages.

25.08.1947: the Sud Expresso starts running twice a week.

02.10.1947: inauguration of the railway bridge over the river Tâmega.

17.10.1947: contract between CP and General Electric Portuguesa, to supply 12 diesel-electric locomotives.

31.07.1947: publication of decree law 36,445 approving the new CP articles.

 Foguete na Ponte Maria Pia 53

14.01.1948: opening of the new Lisbon-Rossio canteen 

07.01.1948: The Board appoints Francisco Tristão Ferreira de Almeida to be the company’s delegate on the Commission set up by the Communications Ministry to study moving the river station at Cais do Sodré, belonging to the Parceria dos Vapores Lisbonenses (Lisbon steam partnership) to the Sul e Sueste station in Terreiro do Paço.

24.01.1948: Publication of General Direction Order 281, with the authorisation for all stations to send orders about train movements by telephone.

24.01.1948: Opening of the railway workers’ canteen at Santa Apolónia.

25.02.1948: The Board approves that company employees João Monteiro, António Vilhena da Costa Fragoso, Carlos Eugénio Castanheira, Artur Carvalho de Araújo, Augusto Mendes da Silva and Francisco Mira Barreiros go to the US to take courses provided by the American Locomotive Company, to teach the workers how to operate and maintain the diesel-electric locomotives.

24.03.1948: Contract for CP to borrow 50,000 ‘contos’ (€250,000) from CGD to pay for the diesel-electric locomotives.

07.04.1948: Contract between CP and Alberto Alcântara Carreira, to organise the mechanisation of the company services

--.04.1948: Opening of Oporto-Trindade station.

12.05.1948: The company decides to transform the oil burning locomotives to use coal since the increase in the price of oil costs the company 48,000 ‘contos’ (€240,000) a year.

02.06.1948: The Board approves awarding prizes to station staff who help gain traffic.

09.06.1948: The Communications Ministry authorises a 10% increase in passenger transport regulated by the General Tariff.

22.07.1948: The Board approves a project for a holiday camp in Mangualde.

11.09.1948: Four Nohab rail cars arrive in Lisbon to operate on the lines with less traffic.

15.09.1948: The first diesel-electric locomotives arrive in Lisbon.

22.09.1948: CP awards The Westinghouse Electric International Company a contract to install ventilation in Rossio tunnel that is appropriate for the operation of diesel-electric locomotives.

04.10.1948: First speed test and towing of passenger train with a diesel-electric locomotive and Swiss carriages between Entrecampos and Gaia.

20.10.1948: The Board decides to register the name and logo of CP to prevent any copying.

15.11.1948: Opening of canteen for railway workers in Figueira da Foz.

21.01.1949: Opening of the stretch of railway line between Cabeço de Vide and Portalegre to the public.

24.03.1949: Decree-Law 37,451 authorises an increase in passenger and freight fares.

23.05.1949: Decree-Law 37,425 that remodels the union organisation of Portuguese railway workers reduces the number of unions.

13.07.1949: Lisbon City Hall approves the project for the crossing of Avenida da República, by the urban line on a viaduct (Entrecampos viaduct).

26.07.1949: Opening of Mangualde holiday camp.

17.08.1949: CP decides to set up a site to house and maintain diesel-electric locomotives in Gaia.

04.01.1950: CP decides to establish a transport zone between Póvoa do Varzim and Famalicão, to fight the competition from buses in the region served by the Famalicão line.

25.01.1950: Works to adapt the Campolide station coach house to house diesel rail cars and locomotives.

08.03.1950: The Mora and Guadiana lines change over to economic operation system.

19.04.1950: Authorisation is given to conduct the works for electrical installation at Torres Novas station.

27.06.1950: Plano Marshall Fund money is used to but five 1,500 HP and twelve 1,350 HP diesel electric locomotives from the USA.

26.07.1950: Works are approved in the Lagos engine shed to support the Algarve rail cars.

28.06.1950: The Board appoints Custódio de Azevedo Nazareh de Sousa, Sub-director of the Operations division to go to Madrid to conclude the establishment of direct Lisbon/Corunha and Oporto/Salamanca services with RENFE and the Spanish authorities.

17.08.1950: In order to capture traffic on the Oeste line, CP approves new fares for fertiliser transport.

05.09.1950: Contract between CP and Caixa Geral de Depósitos, Crédito e Previdência, to acquire 17 diesel locomotives from the USA under the Marshall Plan.

18.10.1950: Contract to buy five 1,500/1,600 HP diesel-electric locomotives from Alco, under the Marshall Plan.

28.10.1950: Contract between CP and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton Corporation, to buy 12 diesel-electric locomotives under the Marshall Plan.

15.11.1950: The Board authorises the acquisition of five buses from Sociedade de Comércio Geral Lda., to run services between Coimbra and Castelo Branco.

19.11.1950: A commission is appointed to visit France, England and Belgium to study the use of solid and liquid fuels in the steam engines.

09.05.1951: Decree-Law 38,247 that regulates the creation of the General Land Transport Division and sets up the Special Land Transport Fund.

14.06.1951: Single Concession contract with the reorganisation of the rail sector.

05.07.1951: Decree that approves the CP articles of association.

03.08.1951: A new Board is sworn in composed of Mário de Figueiredo, Manuel José Pinto Osório, Francisco Xavier Lobo de Almeida de Melo e Castro, Domingos Fezas Vital, Coronel Frederico de Magalhães e Menezes Vilar, Mário Malheiro Reimão and Mário Melo de Oliveira Costa.

02.10.1951: Three “Alco” diesel-electric locomotives arrive at Santa Apolónia quay.

31.07.1952: The Unified Portuguese Network Plan is unveiled.

28.08.1952: Contract between CP and Allan & Cº, to supply 35 diesel-electric locomotives, 20 trailers and spare parts.

05.09.1952: Contract between CP and Carel Fouché & Compagnie - Établissements, to supply 7 mixed 1st and 2nd class carriages A3-D5.

03.11.1952:  CP orders 17 diesel locomotives, 41 rail cars, 12 shunters and 30 carriages through the Marshall Plan and other loans and state subsidies.

15.01.1953: The 1st Fiat rail car reaches Entrecampos.

05.03.1953: Female employees join the staff to do the same jobs as men.

09.03.1953: Inaugural journey of the "Foguete" (Rocket) train between Lisbon and Oporto.

02.07.1953: The German firm Fried Krupp Stahlban Rheinhausen is awarded the renewal of the Beira Alta metal bridges.

15.10.1953: CP approves the start of the Lisbon/Oporto service using the "Foguete".

09.03.1954: Decree-Law 39,537, that organizes the Retirement Chest into new structure that will be composed of a Board with three members appointed by the Corporations Ministry, CP and the Railway Unions.

21.08.1954: Publication of Decree-Law 39,780 that approves the new Operating Regulations and the Railway Police.

21.08.1954: The diesel-electric rail cars bought from Holland go into service on the Oeste line.

26.08.1954: The Specifications are approved for the first phase of the electrification of the network, Company’s General Directorate.

30.09.1954: Deeds to assign Covilhã Sanatorium to the national institute of Tuberculosis Assistance.

18.11.1954: Train operations suspended in Rossio tunnel for three months due to electrification works (lowering the base of the tunnel and waterproofing the roof).

27.01.1955: Contract between CP and Locotracteurs Gaston Moyse, to supply 17 diesel-electric locomotives for broad gauge shunting and spare parts.

17.02.1955: Contract signed by CP and Nydqvist & Holm Aktiebolag (Nohab), to supply 14 bogies and spare parts to transform 6 diesel axle Nohab locomotives.

17.02.1955: Contract by CP and António Veiga Lda., for the works to lower the track bed in Rossio tunnel.

12.03.1955: The Board awards Groupement d`Étude et Electrification des Chemins de Fer en Monophasé 50 Hz the work to supply locomotives, rail cars, substations and signalling needed to electrify the Northern line up as far as Entroncamento, and the Sintra line.

03.05.1955: Contract between CP and Telefon A.B.L.M. Ericsson, for telecommunications works on the first phase of the electrification of the Portuguese rail network.

29.07.1955: A collective Work Agreement is signed by CP and a series of different unions.

29.07.1955: Decree-Law 40,262 that establishes the terms for setting up the Railway Workers’ Pension Fund.

12.03.1955: The Board contracts Swedish group Ericsson for the works and supply of the telecommunications required for the electrification of the Northern line up to Entroncamento, and the Sintra line.

11.08.1955: A Master Plan is approved to concentrate the workshops including a new foundry workshop for the entire network in Lavradio, and the dismantling of the Santa Apolónia workshops so they can be used for other purposes.

15.10.1955: The Allan rail cars enter service on the Tua and Bragança line.

28.04.1957: Official inauguration of electric traction on the Sintra line and the stretch of the Northern line between Lisbon and Carregado.

04.07.1957: The Board awards Groupement the contract to install signalling in Entroncamento, under the Investment Plan.

30.06.1958: Inauguration of electric traction between Lisbon and Entroncamento.

03.07.1958: Dargent is awarded a contract to metal clad and transform ten AB 5yf 601/604 and Cyf 0601/0606 carriages into main line wagons.

08.11.1958: The employees are authorised to adopt a 5-day week, but still with 48 working hours.

29.01.1959: The Board approves the contract for Sorefame to supply 15 locomotives, with the participation of Brissonneau, but completely assembled in Portugal.

29.01.1959: The Board awards Sorefame a contract to assemble twelve 700/800 HP locomotives to be bought through Eurofima and the 2nd Investment Plan.

19.03.1959: The Viana do Castelo shipyard is awarded a contract to provide two ferries for the Lisbon/Barreiro river crossing.

16.04.1959: Authorisation is granted to acquire four “J” series wagons from G. & J. Graham & Cº.

27.04.1959: A contract is signed to build 9 ORE standard diesel-electric locomotives with Société Anonyme des Anciens Établissements Brissonneau et Loz.

21.05.1959: The leasing contracts about the acquisition of nine locomotives is signed under Eurofima and the 2nd Investment Plan and six locomotives to be bought outright by CP.

04.08.1959: Contract between CP and S. Ericsson de Portugal, Lda., to supply and install centralised signalling and control systems for the Setil line to Vendas Novas.

18.11.1959: Contract between CP and Sorefame for the acquisition of 20 Bo-Bo electric locomotives, 21 three-car multiple units, 14 1st class carriages with air conditioning, 3 restaurant cars and other spare material worth about 341.976 ‘contos’ (€1.4 million).

30.12.1960: Publication of Decree-Law 43,457 that creates the land Transport Studies and Planning Office (GEPT in the original Portuguese), to support the Communications Ministry by running a study to discover the problems regarding the coordination and planning of land transport.

28.02.1961: Collective Work Agreement signed by CP and the national railway Unions.

27.04.1961: CP charges Costa Macedo with drawing up the studies regarding the implementation of railway corridors to be considered in the building of a road/rail bridge over the Tagus that overturns the idea of the uselessness of a dual traffic bridge given the victory of the car over the train.

08.06.1961: The Investment Plan is expanded with the awards needed for the 2nd phase of the electrification between Entroncamento and Oporto.

16.08.1961: Sorefame is awarded a contract to build eight first class carriages and seven mixed class carriages with 9 compartments for the international service.

25.01.1962: The authorisation is grated under the Investment Plan for new diesel and electric workshops in Entroncamento.

23.08.1962: CP becomes a member of the BIG fares (Individual tickets for group travel with "forfait" journeys), that allows travel agents to use group ticket fares for individual passengers under certain conditions.

12.09.1962: The Senhora da Hora/Matosinhos line is closed.

07.03.1963: CP asks Eurofima to acquire 12 double-diesel units or 10 "Brissonneau" diesel locomotives, 20 vans and 240 wagons.

05.04.1963: The architect Edgar Cardoso is asked to draw up draft for a new bridge over the river Douro.

09.05.1963: CP approves the creation of return tickets with a reduction of up to 50%, with the aim of encouraging night-time travel on the Sintra/Lisbon line.

06.06.1963: The electrification works in the Albergaria tunnel are awarded to "Groupement".

01.07.1963:  Portuguese railways decide to have just two classes of transport.

15.10.1963: Inauguration of the electrification between Pombal and Coimbra.

27.10.1963: Publication of Decree-Law 44,652, that governs CP participation in Work group No. 4 - Transports and Communications - Interministerial Planning and Economic Integration Commission.

03.12.1963: Publication of Decree-Law 45,403 that distributes the sums needed for indispensable complementary works for the construction of the bridge over the Tagus through FETT, ensuring a train link.

09.01.1964: The contract is awarded for the construction of new diesel-electric workshops in Entroncamento.

20.03.1964: Inauguration of the electrification on the stretch of line between Coimbra and Pampilhosa.

--.--.1964: Contract between CP and EUROFIMA and the SOREFAME - Construtores Eletrotécnicos Group, to supply 10 three-car electric multiple units.

10.11.1965: Contract between CP and the Sorefame-English Electric group to supply 50 diesel-electric locomotives worth 257,000 ‘contos’ (€1.3M), funded by a group of British bankers, represented by Lazard Brothers & Co, Lda.

17.02.1966: A vacuum brake system with a dead-man system is authorised to be mounted on 36 350 HP diesel locomotives by Sorefame.

27.04.1966: Decree-Law 46,981 authorises CP to issue 120,000 bonds to it can buy 59 second class carriages.

--.07.1966: CP and EUROFIMA enter into an agreement with Sociedades Reunidas de Fabricações Metálicas, SOREFAME S.A.R.L., to supply 59 second class carriages.

11.08.1966: CP’s new articles of association are approved.

15.09.1966: The freight transport across the Tagus by boat (between Lisbon and Barreiro), is replaced by road and rail transport.

03.11.1966: The electrification of the Lisbon to Oporto line is completed.

15.12.1966: Contract between CP and the Viana do Castelo shipyards for two new ferries for the river crossing between Lisbon and Barreiro.

17.08.1967: CP approves the acquisition of seventeen 1,700 HP locomotives and ten 2,700 HP locomotives needed to stop using steam power on broad gauge.

27.10.1967: Order from the Communications Ministry approving a study of Portuguese Railways by Sofrerail.

07.12.1967: Conclusion of the new signalling between Coimbra to Pampilhosa that allow automatic block trains to reach Aveiro.

15.12.1967: Contract between CP and Simmering - Graz-Pauker to supply 700 wagons.

03.04.1968: Contract between the Communications Ministry and Sofrerail to present a modernisation plan for Portuguese railways over the next 10 years according to the 3rd Investment Plan directives (1968/1973).

06.05.1968: Contract between CP, Sorefame and Groupement to supply 24 three-car electric train sets.

17.05.1968: Order 42/68 from the Communications Ministry, authorising FETT to grant subsidies to CP worth ‘200,000 contos’ (€1 million), to cover the costs of renewing the track and supplementary work.

11.07.1968: CP is authorised to sign a contract with Eurofima-Sorefame to acquire 25 second class carriages for main line service.

29.09.1968: Inauguration of the electrification of the Ave Maria tunnel allowing steam traction to be discontinued between Campanhã and S. Bento.

27.11.1968: Workers demonstrate for pay rises.

29.11.1968: Contract between CP and the Somafel - Société des Entreprises de Travaux Publics André Borie - Société des Entreprises A. Déhé & Cie. Consortium and even Somapre, for the complete or partial renewal of some company lines.

23.01.1969: In order to capture traffic for the TER train, CP and RENFE decide that over a pilot period in March and April, they will offer a free lunch on board when passengers buy the Lisbon-Madrid tickets.

11.03.1969: Government order that approves the project to build a 3rd track between Oporto-Campanhã and Contumil.

20.03.1969: The job of Travel Assistant is created with hostesses on the Portuguese leg of the TER train.

27.03.1969: Publication of Decree-Law 48.939 that declassifies the Seixal branch line.

01.05.1969: Medical welfare for railway workers is transferred to the Pension Chest.

08.05.1969: The Board approves the creation of the Rail Europe Junior card that is valid for three years for youths aged between 10 and 21 offering 25% off ticket prices.

09.05.1969: Contract between CP and Sofrerail for a study into track renewal and maintenance and corrections to some bends.

15.05.1969: The Board decides to ask the GEPT to eliminate manual level crossings and replace them with automatic ones as a road traffic safety measure as soon as trains reach 150 km/ h.

04.06.1969: In order to compete against buses in the Southern region, the Board approves the establishment of excursion trains from Vila Real de Santo António, Tavira, Faro and Tunes to Lisbon.

31.07.1969: The Board decides to close lines with little traffic.

17.10.1969: The Entroncamento training centre is opened with classroom, office and residential buildings.

01.11.1969: The railway worker retirement and widows’ pensions are integrated into the Nation Pension Chest.

--.--.1969: The 1961 Collective Agreement is revised.

--.02.1970: CP presents the government with the “Reconversion of the Portuguese Railways – formulation of railway policy” plan.

--.08.1970: A new ferry – Lagos – enters service to carry passengers between Lisbon and Barreiro.

--.11.1970: A new ferry – Alentejo – enters service to carry passengers between Lisbon and Barreiro.

13.04.1971: Authorisation is given to close Oporto - S. Bento station to freight traffic from 01.08.1971.

16.04.1971: Contract between CP and Societé d'Economie et de Mathématique Appliquées to draw up studies and proposals for the General Information Automatization Plan.

29.04.1971: Works to completely renew the northern line track are authorised.

09.06.1971: A contract is approved to buy 30 double hopper wagons to carry ballast to the Consortium (composed of Cometna, CUF, L. Dargent, Lda., Sorefame).

10.02.1972: The Board approves a study of the profitability of the Figueira da Foz to Pampilhosa line, by the Studies and Forecast Section of the Organisation and Planning Department.

16.03.1972: The Board approves the profitability study of the Reguengos branch line produced by the Organisation and Planning Department, which says it should be closed as it does not justify the operations.

16.03.1972: The Board approves the profitability study of the Guimarães/Fafe stretch of line, produced by the Organisation and Planning Department, which says it should be closed as it has very little traffic.

16.03.1972: CP and RENFE representatives meet in Salamanca to alter the times of the Lusitânia Expresso train and to publicise the Lisbon-Expresso-TER service to get more traffic.

30.06.1972:  CP signs a contract with MLW - Worthington Limited, to supply 18 diesel-electric locomotives.

03.08.1972: The Board approves the draft programme to close lines with little traffic, organised by the Organisation and Planning Department.

26.08.1972: Rail services are suspended in the Vouga line between Aveiro and Viseu.

09.10.1972: Decree-Law 381,172 is published that applies the Legal System of Individual Work Contracts to public rail transport service concessionaires and franchisees.

21.12.1972: The Board authorises the award of signalling improvement works on the Sintra line (2nd phase) to Groupement, under the scope of the 3rd Investment Plan.

13.03.1973: Publication of Decree-Law 104/73 that authorises the Communications Ministry to establish a new Concession agreement with CP.

23.08.1973: Inauguration of the Lisbon to Oporto "auto-expresso" service.

11.04.1974: The acquisition of 20 broad gauge double units and 16 narrow gauge ones is approved from Sorefame and Alsthom respectively.

18.04.1974: The "Speno" train is authorised to come to Portugal to correct the wave wear on the Sintra line rails.

06.06.1974: Following a request from the railway unions, a Reorganisation Committee is set up to inspect the archives, analyse documents and assess the company’s management.

26.06.1974: Walter Ruivo Gomes Rosa is appointed chairman of CP, a position he holds until 19.09.1975.

23.12.1974: A railway worker mass rally approves their demands for the future Collective Work Agreement.

05.04.1975: The railway workers call for the nationalisation of CP and other transport companies during a mass rally in Lisbon’s ‘Pavilhão dos Desportos’.

16.04.1975: Decree-Law 205-B/175 nationalising CP is published.

24.04.1975: The 1st Collective Work Agreement between CP and its workers after the 25 April revolution is negotiated.

04.10.1975: José Augusto Fernandes is appointed chairman of CP, a position he holds until 06.01.1976, when he is appointed minister of transports and communications.

17.12.1975: Decree-Law 701-D/75, regarding the coordination of water transport on the Tagus is published to create the company TRANSTEJO and transfer the goods and services offered by CP up until then to it.

 Composição elétrica de passageiros, loc. série2600 e carruagens Corail 1986

05.02.1976: Amílcar José Gouveia Marques is appointed chairman of the Board of CP, and then he became the chairman of the Management Committee on 15.06.1977, following the publication of the new articles of association.

21.05.1976: The Federation of Railway Unions is set up with its headquarters in Lisbon as a union association of all railway unions that existed at the time.

16.06.1976: The new Collective Work Agreement is signed.

28.06.1976: An order from the ministry of transports and communications approves the draft project for the Poceirão - River Sado section of the Poceirão-Sines line.

20.08.1976: An order is issued appointing an Inquiry Commission into safety conditions of the railway operations.

13.12.1976: End of the franchise and operation agreement of the Cascais line by Sociedade Estoril.

01.01.1977: A single class system is introduced on the Lisbon Rossio-Sintra, Barreiro-Praias do Sado and Cais do Sodré-Cascais urban trains.

25.03.1977: The new articles of association of Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses, SARL are approved and the company’s name is changed to Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses, EP.

25.03.1977: End of broad gauge steam trains.

--.05.1977: The Cascais, Sintra and Barreiro-Praias do Sado lines join the “Social Pass” system.

01.07.1977: CP joins the "Common International Tariff for the transport of express packages ".

29.11.1977: In compliance with Decree-Law 353/C77, of 28.08, CP hands the government a Financial Restructuring Agreement Proposal.

-- .02.1978: Launch of two new fast trains on the northern line – the "Cidade Invicta" and the "Sete Colinas".

--.06.1978: The Train drivers’ Union – SMAQ is set up.

07.09.1978: Luís Manuel C. Pereira de Moura is temporarily appointed as chairman of the management Council of CP to replace Amílcar José Gouveia Marques, who had been appointed as minister.

-- . --. 1978: Adoption of compressed air brakes in the international and Lisbon-Oporto fast trains.

--.11.1979: The Ticker Collector and Inspectors’ Union (SNTR) is set up.

--.12.1981: The National Railway Station Workers’ Union (SINAFE) is set up.

--.12.1981: The Offices and services Union (SINFESE) is set up.

07.02.1982: 24-hour strike in CP.

12.02.1982: General strike in CP against the government policy on the Company Agreement.

15.05.1982: General strike in CP against the policy of the AD government, denationalisations and dissolution of the intervention police.

05.11.1982: António José de B. Queirós Martins is appointed chairman of CP, a position he holds until 15.04.1986

30.12.1982: Contract with Sorefame and Alsthom for 9 electric locomotives.

03.02.1983: Decree-Law 63/83, that approves the measures needed for the economic and financial reorganisation of CP.

29.03.1983: Railway unions do not accept civil requisition and go out on strike.

09.04.1983: The CP strike is called off after 11 days of stoppages.

--.10.1983: CP presents the Strategic Plan for the Economic and Financial Recovery (PEREF) for the period 1984 to 1988.

19.04.1984: Order from the social equipment minister authorising funding to build a new bridge at Cacia over the river Vouga, through the Special Land Transport Fund.

05.09.1985: Decree-Law 361/85 establishes provisions regarding the consolidation and settlement of CP debts to banks and the Special Land Transport Fund that were taken out up until 31.12.1984.

02.10.1985: Decree-Law 387/85 establishes the conditions to consolidate CP debts to the state, social security institutions, unemployment fund and non-financial state-owned enterprises.

15.04.1986: João Nolasco Boulain de Carvalho Carreira is appointed chairman of CP, a position he holds until 1993.

20.11.1986: The Board approves the CP/EDP agreement to make the installation of a coal-fired power station in Pego viable.

11.12.1986: Contract between CP and Sistel and Autophon for the study, supply, installation and commissioning of a ground-train radio communication system for the Sintra and Cintura lines – CONVEL system.

23.12.1986: A contract with Sorefame is approved to buy 7 narrow gauge double diesel units. 

--.--.1986: 38 days strike in CP, demanding compliance with the Career Regulations.

UQE

20.08.1987: Decree-Law 315/87 sets up the Lisbon Railway Junction Office.

--.--.1987: 51-day strike in CP, demanding compliance with the agreement on Career Regulations.

--.--.1987: Alfa service starts between Lisbon and Oporto.

17.02.1988: Strike in CP demanding negotiation of the Company Agreement.

19.02.1988: The cabinet approves the Railway Modernisation Plan (1988-94).

17.03.1988: General strike in CP.

--.05.1988: Start of Intercidades service.

--. 12.1988: Publication of cabinet resolution 52/88 that alters the existing gauge to the normal gauge adopted in nearly all European Community countries.

--.—1988: Railway services suspended on the Sabor line, Vouga line between Santa Comba Dão and Viseu and the section of the Douro line between Pocinho and Viseu.

20.01.1989: 24-hour strike in CP, in support of the National Railway Station Union (SINAFE), for the labour package, Company Agreement, Career Regulations, shift work and a reduction in retirement age.

--.12.1989: Traffic suspended on the Sabor line, Dão line and the Guimarães/Fafe section, Montijo branch line, Montemor branch line and the Pocinho/Barca d’Alva section of the Douro line.

--.01.1990: Tâmega line deactivated between Amarante and Arco de Baúlhe.

17.03.1990: Land Transport System Base Law. Revokes Law 2008 of 07.09.1945.

--.04.1990: Contract signed to buy 42 QUE (Quadruple Electric Units) for suburban service on the Sintra line.

 --.--.1990: Conclusion of the complete renewal of the Oeste line track.

--.--.1990: 1st class is abolished on the river crossing.

--.--.1990: Start of Intercidades service between Barreiro/Beja/Évora.

--.01.1990: Deactivation of the Tâmega line between Amarante and Arco de Baúlhe.

15.04.1991: The minister of public works, transports and communications approves the CP modernisation Plan for the northern line.

24.06-1991: The new Douro crossing (S. João bridge) is opened.

12.12.1991: TEX – Transporte de Volumes Expresso Lda is set up.

--.--.1991: Start of the InterRegional service in the Algarve, linking Vila Real de Santo António to Lagos.

03.04.1992: The cabinet approves the rail crossing on the bridge over the Tagus.

03-04-1192: Start of the weekend Algarve/Oporto/Algarve service, called "Comboio Azul".

05.06.1992: Opening of the new "Lisboa – 5 de Outubro" station.

20.06.1992: Publication of Decree-Law 116/92 that alters the articles of association of CP and establishes the sub concession of rail transport operations on some lines.

--.06.1992: Decree-Law 116/92, that establishes new names for the national railway network lines and branches.

16.07.1992: Automatic level crossings with solar energy come into service in Alentejo.

10.11.1992: The Automatic Train Speed Control System (CONVEL), comes into service on the Sintra and Cintura lines.

30.11.1992: New Quadruple Electric Units come into service on the Sintra line.

21.12.1992: Contract between CP and the Alcatel Portugal/Alcatel SEL AG Consortium to provide and install an electronic signalling system for the Sintra line.

20.02.1993: Start of the Transibérico service – Leixões/Lisbon/Barcelona freight service.

01.03.1993: Creation of the joint CP/Carris pass.

01.04.1993: Creation of the joint CP/Metro pass.

17.04.1993: The Railway workers’ home is opened in Entroncamento.

07.05.1993: Signing of an agreement between CP and INVESFER, establishing the institutional framework for relations between the two organisations under the scope of services provided in developing appreciation actions for CP real estate.

01.06.1993: River ferry operations are transferred to subsidiary company Soflusa.

01.06.1993: ‘Detail Regime’ freight traffic is discontinued.

08.07.1993: João Pedro Dias Alves is appointed chairman of CP, a position he holds until 22.12.1994.

--.07.1993: The new Amadora station is opened to the public.

--.09.1993: The Louriçal branch line on the Oeste line is opened to service.

06.10.1993: The Automatic Train Speed Control System (CONVEL) comes into service on the northern line between Santa Apolónia and Entroncamento.

08.10.1993: A contract is signed for the duplication of the track between Ermesinde and Valongo on the Douro line.

23.11.1993: Decision 23/93; following the reorganisation of CP, business units are formed: Lisbon north/Sintra suburban – LSI and Cascais suburban – LCC.

11.12.1993: The CP/Metropolitano de Lisboa interface in Entrecampos is opened to the public.

23.12.1993: The cabinet approves the creation of a Works Management Office to install the railway on the Ponte 25 de Abril.

22.12.1994: António Brito da Silva is appointed chairman of CP, a position he holds until 19.12.1996.

--.12.1994: The new Benfica station is opened to the public.

26.01.1995: Order 41 – A/95 – encourages the financial equilibrium of the concession, design, construction, funding and operation of the new crossing over the Tagus at Lisbon.

26.01.1995: International tender under the scope of the European Community to build Contumil station and new workshops.

--.01.1995: Start of work on the quadruplication of the northern line between Lisbon and Azambuja.

02.03.1995: An agreement is signed to build the Lisbon Eastern Zone Intermodel hub –Oriente station.

16.03.1995: Start of electric traction on the Pego branch line.

07.05.1995: The Lusitânia Comboio Hotel service begins between Madrid/Lisbon and replaces the Talgo and Lusitânia Expresso trains.

--.06.1995: The new Alverca station is opened to the public.

13.07.1995: An agreement is signed for the economic viability project for the reconversion of the Vouga line between Aveiro and Águeda into a light rail system.

04.08.1995: Triple Electric Units (TEU) start running between Coimbra and Figueira da Foz.

--.08.1995: The new CP/Metro interface in Sete Rios is opened to the public.

05.09.1995: The Barreiro road-rail-river terminal is opened to the public.

05.09.1995: The double track between Ermesinde and Valongo is opened to the public – start of the duplication of the Douro line.

24.09.1995: Publication of the decree that creates the CP and Metro police force.

--.09.1995: The new Azambuja station is opened to the public.

12.12.1995: CP joins the Galileo system that allows travel agents computerised access to seat reservations.

--.--.1995: Opening of an Alfa/Intercidades terminal in Santa Apolónia station.

07.02.1996: An agreement is signed between CP and FIAT Ferroviária, to buy ten tilting trains for the northern line.

02.03.1995: Agreements are signed to build the Lisbon Eastern Zone Intermodel hub –Oriente station.

16.03.1995: Start of electric traction on the Pego branch line.

07.05.1995: The Lusitânia Comboio Hotel service begins between Madrid/Lisbon and replaces the Talgo and Lusitânia Expresso trains.

22.05.1996: Sociedade Metro Mondego is set up.

13.07.1995: An agreement is signed for the economic viability project for the reconversion of the Vouga line between Aveiro and Águeda into a light rail system.

23.07.1995: Automatic signalling and telecommunications systems come into service between Pampilhosa and Vilar Formoso.

04.08.1995: Triple Electric Units (TEU) start running between Coimbra and Figueira da Foz.

05.09.1995: The Barreiro road-rail-river terminal is opened to the public.

05.09.1995: The double track between Ermesinde and Valongo is opened to the public – start of the duplication of the Douro line.

24.09.1995: Publication of the decree that creates the CP and Metro police force.

12.12.1995: CP joins the Galileo system that allows travel agents computerised access to seat reservations.

Alfa Pendular na estação de Porto Campanhã

01.01.1997: Start of electric traction between Mangualde and Guarda.

28.04.1997: Start of electric traction between Guarda and Vilar Formoso.

29.04.1997: Decree-Law 104/97 begins the creation of the company responsible for managing the railway infrastructure – REFER.

26.05.1997: António J.B. Crisóstomo Teixeira is appointed chairman of CP, a position he holds until 29.09.2003.

15.09.1997: Joint order from the ministries of finance and of equipment, planning and territorial administration creating a committee to identify the assets to be transferred to Refer.

06.11.1997: The Board of CP approves a new organisation diagram that implements a more flexible organisation in line with operating and sales decentralisation based on Business Units.

05.12.1997: The new centralised traffic command post in Pampilhosa comes into service.

18.12.1997: The Management Committee decides to stop all maintenance work at EMEF in Figueira da Foz.

04.01.1998: The Lousado/Santo Tirso section of the Guimarães line is reopened as broad gauge and the Santo Tirso station is opened.

18.05.1998: Lisbon Intermodal station is opened

29.09.1998: Decree-Law 299-B creates the National Rail Transport Institute - INTF.

23.11.1998: INTF starts work in Regulation, Supervision and Development of the railway sector.

--.--.1998: Electrification of the Leixões branch line.

--.--.1998: Creation of FERTAGUS, the railway operator that runs the north-south rail link.

30.04.1999: The new centralised traffic command post in Campolide comes into service.

30.06.1999: First journey of the Alfa Pendular train between Lisbon and Oporto.

18.07.1999: The triple electric units come into service on the Cascais line.

29.07.1999: Inauguration of the railway crossing on the Ponte 25 de Abril and the north-south rail link between Entrecampos and Fogueteiro.

26.09.1999: The UTD 600 (Triple Diesel Units) come into service on the Sado line.

26.09.1999: The double deck QEUs come into service on the urban line to Azambuja.

--.09.1999: Conclusion of the quadruplication of the track between Benfica and Amadora on the Sintra line.

01.03.2000: Inauguration of the intermodal articulation between road and rail serving Caxarias, Ourém and Fátima.

28.05.2000: Start of the double deck (UQE 3500) connection between Cacém and Alverca.

--.10.2000: Conclusion of the electric traction connection between the country’s main ports (Sines, Setúbal, Lisbon and Leixões).

19.12.2000: Decree-Law sets up RAVE – Rede Ferroviária de Alta Velocidade, SA, a Portuguese company whose mission is the development and coordination of the works and studies needed to take decisions regarding the planning and construction, funding, supply and operation of a high-speed network in Portugal with connections to the Spanish network.

28.01.2001: Start of the double deck service between Vila Franca de Xira and Alcântara-Terra.

14.11.2001: Signing of an agreement between Refer and Valença and Monção town halls to build the first eco-path, project to use deactivated lines.

15.02.2002: Closure of the Póvoa do Varzim line.

16.02.2002: Roma-Areeiro station opens for service.

29.04.2002: Inauguration of the new Guarda station.

19.05.2002: The quadruplication of the Sintra line reaches Queluz-Massamá station, which is renamed Monte Abraão.

16.06.2002: The regional trains between Tunes/Lagos and on the Vendas Novas and Cáceres branch lines become single class only.

26.06.2002: Contract between CP and SOMINCOR for the transport of ore from Neves Corvo.

14.06.2002: Inauguration of the new Rio de Mouro station on the Sintra line.

13:07:2002: Single class system comes into force on the Oeste line regional service.

30.08.2002: Trains restart on the Vouga line after the conclusion of maintenance works on the Sernada do Vouga bridge.

15:12:2002: Start of Lisbon/Leiria Intercidades service.

24:07:2003: Inauguration of direct service between Faro and Oriente.

29.09.2003: Ernesto Martins de Brito is appointed chairman of CP and stays in the position until 24.09.2004.

11.11.2003: Start of the sale of CP/SOFLUSA – pass COMBI 1+1 pass.

19.01.2004: Reopening of the Guimarães line after modernisation and electrification works.

16.04.2004: The link between Covilhã and Guarda is reopened after having been closed since August for modernisation and electrification works.

16.04.2004: New signalling, telecommunications and CONVEL services installed between Tunes and Lagos, on the Algarve line.

21.04.2004: Reopening of the Lousado/Nine section of line and the Braga branch line after electrification works and the duplication of the track in broad gauge

06.06.2004: Start of the Alfa Pendular service between Braga and Faro.

17.06.2004: Contract between CP and the Argentine government to sell 17 UDD 9600 railcars.

10.06.2004: Inauguration of the Fogueteiro/Setúbal section of line.

24.09.2004: António Manuel Palma Ramalho is appointed chairman of CP.

22.10.2004: Rossio tunnel closes for works.

29.11.2004: Opening of Meleças station on the Sintra line.

03.12.2004: CP appoints an ombudsman for passengers with disabilities.

16.07.2005: Inauguration of the electrification works on the Beira Baixa line between Mouriscas and Castelo Branco.

13.12.2005: Presentation of the high-speed project.

16.07.2005: Inauguration of the electrification works on the Beira Baixa line between Mouriscas and Castelo Branco.

25.07.2005: Start of container transport in block trains between Lisbon (CP road-rail terminal and Liscont maritime terminal) and the Elvas container terminal.

--.09.2005: Implementation of the Rolling Stock Personnel Management System in the Cais do Sodré and Barreiro inspector offices at CP Lisbon.

28.09.2005: Inauguration of the Elvas Container Terminal. This project was established in partnership between CP Carga and Tertir, and consists of a railway logistics hub between Lisbon/Bobadela, north-east Alentejo and the Extremadura region of Spain.

11.10.2005: Launch of the “Train and Nature Routes” in the International Douro Natural Park, the Sado estuary and the Castro Verde plains.

01.10.2005: Expansion of the Andante pass (Oporto Intermodal Transport System) to Espinho.

13.12.2005: Presentation of the high-speed project.

01.01.2006: CP provides a complaints book at all places where there is contact with the public.

--.01.2006: CP sells Argentina deactivated rolling stock, comprised of 40 carriages and 7 locomotives.

24.03.2006: Presentation of the EMEF Strategic Plan (2006-2008) in Entroncamento.

--.06.2006: The European Commission approves the green paper on transports.

14.07.2006: Francisco José Cardoso dos Reis is appointed chairman of CP.

24.08.2006: The first 30 wagons produced for Bosna are shipped out by EMEF.

07.11.2006: CP and the National Railway Museum sign the agreements regarding the assignment of the artefacts held at Bragança, Lousado, Macinhata do Vouga and Santarém.

27.11.2006: The Serviço Português de Contentores (SPC), a Sapec group company, inaugurates the Valongo Logistics Hub (included in the Northern Multimodal Terminal) and the railway branch line that is to serve the infrastructure.

--.01.2007: CP signs an agreement to join the Labour Mediation System, a recent instrument created by the justice ministry to mediate labour matters and that takes some strain off the courts with time savings and lower costs for the parties involved.

11.01.2007: Work starts on the Cacia Multimodal terminal. This development is the first part of a series of works that involve the Port of Aveiro Railway Connection Project, which also includes the construction of a railway line between the port and the northern line and the other branch lines in the port area.

24.01.2007: Start of works on the railway link to the Siderurgia Nacional iron works.

30.01.2007: Some of the main organisations that represent the international railway sector CER, UIC, EIM and UNIFE – sign a declaration where they agree to a commitment to contribute towards the sustainable development of the freight transport system in Europe.

--.04.2007: A new InterRail product is unveiled, based on two kinds of pass - InterRail Global Pass and InterRail One Country Pass.

19.04.2007: CP and its Spanish counterpart Renfe sign a memorandum of understanding regarding international freight traffic.

20.04.2007: Last journey of the ‘Comboio Azul’ between Faro and Oporto Campanhã.

25.05.2007: Public presentation of the renewed Quadruple Electric Units.

25.05.2007: Public presentation of the Railway Technology Centre in the former premises in Amadora.

23.05.2007: Inauguration of the country’s first Mobility Centre in the atrium of Oporto-S. Bento, a joint initiative by CP, Metro do Porto and the Oporto bus company Sociedade de Transportes Colectivos do Porto (STCP).

11.06.2007: An agreement is signed by CP and RENFE for the operation and management of the international passenger trains Sud Expresso and Lusitânia Comboio Hotel.

19.09.2007: Signature of an agreement by REFER and QUERCUS in Sacavém station to develop a sustainable construction project, "Edifício Verde" (Green Building). The agreement means REFER will provide Sacavém station for the development of the project, allowing its rehabilitation according to the most demanding environmental sustainability principles.

27.09.2007: A new shipment of 30 different kinds of wagons built by EMEF in Entroncamento leave Setúbal for Bosnia, out of a total order of 356 units.

30.10.2007: Reopening of the upper deck of the Ponte Eiffel, connecting Viana do Castelo to Darque, after works to widen and up-grade the road deck and strengthen the bridges pillars.

1.11.2007: A new card called Flexipasse CP is launched for passengers who travel between a station in Alentejo and Lisbon/Pragal.

--.11.2007: Another shipment leaves for Argentina with modernised rolling stock (ten locomotives, their diesel railcars, four triple electric units and eight Sorefame carriages) to equip that country’s transport system.

11.11.2007: The Refer Operating Command Centre comes into service beside Braço de Prata station.

24.01.2008: A public announcement system comes into service on the Cascais line.

28.01.2008: The Tua railway line is reopened for service.

16.02.2008: Rossio tunnel is reopened after having been closed for up-grades and renovation since 22 October 2004.

18.03.2008: The railway link to Siderurgia Nacional is completed

22.04.2008: The Oporto Operating Command Centre comes into service.

04.05.2008: A new station and railway tunnel come into service in Espinho.

15.06.2008: Implementation of contactless ticketing on the Cascais line, electronic sales process without the use of paper installed on the Sado line, to be expanded to the Sintra and Azambuja lines.

07.09.2009: Reopening of passenger services on the Venda Novas line between Coruche and Setil.

09.09.2009: Inauguration of a new passenger service on the Leixões line, between Ermesinde and Leça do Balio.

27.03. 2010: Inauguration of the Port of Aveiro branch line.

16.08.2010: The Trofa variant on the Minho lines comes into service.

12.12.2010: The Alcácer variant on the Southern line comes into service.

24.07.2011: Conclusion of modernisation and electrification works on the section of line Bombel/Casa Branca/Évora.

31.07.2011: Conclusion of modernisation and electrification works on the Beira Baixa line between Vale Prazeres and Covilhã.

01.02.2012: Closure of the Traction and Revision Post in Pinhal Novo.

15.08.2012: Closure of the Cáceres branch line (Torre das Vargens/Marvão-Beirã).

24.09.2012: Conclusion of the track quadruplication works between Monte Abraão and Cacém in the Sintra line.

06.05.2013: Inauguration of Agualva-Cacém station.

10.11.2013: The Rail Freight Corridor No. 4, also called the “Atlantic Corridor” comes into service.

01.01.2014: Launch of the new special fare called “Train Sharing”.

--.02.2014: Wi-Fi installed on the Northern line Intercidades trains.

01.03.2014: CP.TAP partnership- Launch of Rail&Fly product.

--.07.2014: Celta train calls at more stations and changes made to the Oporto urban train times.

01.10.2014: Launch of the Flexipasse Jovem that replaced different student passes.

11.11.2014: Presentation of the new CP site.

01.12.2014: The long-distance trains bolster their service to Braga with two more Intercidades connections by extending the service from Oporto.

18.01.2015: Alterations to the Cascais line train times.

01.07.2015: The paper tickets for Lisbon urban trains disappear.

--.07.2015: PayPal accepted by the CP Online ticket office.

04.09.2015: Launch of the “Destinos Magazine”- on-board magazine for the Alfa Pendular.

21.09.2015: Reprivatisation of CP Carga.

25.09.2015: Experimental reintroduction of the passenger services on the Leste line between Portalegre and Entroncamento, with trains on Friday and Sunday.

01.12.2015: Launch of a new all-in-one parking and CP pass called Park & Ride.

07.12.2015: CP opens on Instagram.

27.01.2016: CP and EMEF present the project for the new generation of Alfa Pendular trains.

--.04.2016: CP presents the new CP Kids Games Mini App.

01.05.2016: Inaugural journey of the Alfa Pendular train between Lisbon and Guimarães.

04.06.2016: Douro Historical Train returns with a steam engine.

30.09.2016: CP App

28.10.2016: Commemoration of the 160th anniversary of the railway in Portugal.

30.06.2017: Launch of anew tourist service on the Douro line called MiraDouro.

01.07.2017: Inaugural journey of the Vouga Historical Train between Aveiro and Macinhata do Vouga.

29.08.2017: New rail link on the Leste line between Entroncamento and Badajoz.