The railways created a new socio-economic group– railway workers – subject to strict discipline as laid down in the Regulations and expressed through nuances in the uniform, which has to be worn and adjusted to the jobs and hierarchical level of each worker, just like in the army, which supplied the organisation model and the first specialised technicians.
Civil engineers trained at the army school.
He applied to join the 'Companhia Real dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses' on 5 February 1905, and on the 7th of that month he was employed as a student-assembler at the general workshops at Santa Apolónia.
In October 1895, he was promoted to student-train driver and drove engines in Entroncamento and Caldas da Rainha. The next year he was working as a stoker and driver in Castelo Branco, Lisboa P and Campolide. In October 1896, he was sent to the Entroncamento stock yard as a 2nd class driver and took on the job of sub-chef at Campolide stock yard starting in January 1897, and deputy head of the stock yard after August. On 1 January 1899, he was promoted to traction sub-inspector. In January 1904, he became the traction service engineer ad led a mission that went to France in May that year to learn about driving fast express trains.
On 18 May 1905, the Board of Directors named him attaché engineer to the general department, where he moved to chief engineer of the movement service in January 1906, and in 1910 he was appointed as a member of the Board of Directors and the Executive Commission, then in 1926 he was appointed as vice-president, before becoming the president in May 1933 of what was then called 'Companhia dos Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses'.
Electrical and mechanical engineer graduated from the Oporto Engineering Faculty. His first job was at Marconi. In February 1944 he joined the Companhia do Vale do Vouga and worked as an intern at the Minho e Douro workshops in Campanhã. In May 1944 he was appointed head of the Traction and Rolling Stock Service. In 1947, with the Single Concession, he moved over to CP where he held the following positions: 1949 – deputy engineer, 1950 joined the Marshall Plan Work Group and goes to the USA. In 1955 he is a 2nd class engineer, 1961 head of the 2nd Workshop Group in Entroncamento and in 1963 head of the 3rd Workshop Group in Barreiro.
In 1965 he is appointed deputy head of the Technical Services, in 1966 head of the Technical Services, 1969 head of the Traction, Rolling Stock and Workshop Department, 1970 Department director and in 1974 Industrial director.
His long time as the head of rolling stock and traction services, allied with the knowledge he acquired on countless journeys abroad representing the company enabled him to gain a notable technical concept among Portuguese railway engineers and then there was his spirit of constant learning and research.
José Ângelo Cottinelli Telmo was born in Lisbon on 13 November 1897 and always showed great interest in creativity.
At the Pedro Nunes High School, he studied writing, drawing, music and photography, before entering the Lisbon School of Fine Arts (1915-1920). He first became known through the press thanks to the publication of a cartoon and the creation of “ABCzinho”, a children's magazine he published between 1921 and 1929.
His career as an architect began in 1922, when he was selected to conduct the design of the Pavilion in Honour of Portugal and the International Exhibition in Rio de Janeiro, in collaboration with two other architects.
He joined CP in 1923, when he started with the Construction Division, and he most of his career was spent working for the company, contributing towards the modernisation of the architecture.
He designed the passenger buildings for a variety of stations (Vila Real de Santo António, Estação do Sul e Sueste, Cúria, Tomar…) signal boxes (Ermesinde and Pinhal Novo), medical posts (Sanatório da Covilhã), warehouses (Barreiro, Abrantes, Beja), housing quarters (Bairro Camões in Entroncamento), dormitories (at Campanha station), the “Escola Profissional de António Vasconcelos Correia in Campolide and holiday camps (Praia das Maçãs).
He helped liven up the “Boletim da C.P.” publishing articles, cover designs and illustrations. He designed advertising posters for the company's services and studies for company uniforms. In 1937-38 he made various documentary films about the railways.
Apart from the work he did for CP, he also participated in public calls for tenders, in 1934 he won a prize for the aesthetic renovation of Rossio station and the Public Works Minister, Duarte Pacheco, put him in charge of a plan for prison buildings to be constructed up and down the country. From then on, he had a privileged working relationship with the Minister, who gave him important jobs to do in public works.
He was named chief architect for the Portuguese World Exhibition (1940), which enabled him to work and coordinate a team that included some of the most important names of his generation – architects, sculptors, painters, decorators and graphic artists.
An attraction for the diversity of different means of artistic expression led him to direct the black and white musical film “A canção de Lisboa” (1933); and to run the “Revista Oficial do Sindicato Nacional dos Arquitectos (1938/42) professional magazine; write art critique articles for the “Acção” (1941/42) weekly paper, while still continuing with his work on illustrations, posters and stamps (“Portuguese Castles” issue – 1946 and “Public Works Exhibition – 1948)
As he was such a unique character on the Portuguese architectural and cultural scene that his death in1948, left a gap in the team he led in CP and in the national artistic scene that was difficult to overcome.
Civil engineer, graduated from Oporto University.
He joined the ‘Companhia Portuguesa dos Caminhos de Ferro da Beira Alta’ in 1942 and was appointed deputy head of service in 1945.
When the Beira Alta line was incorporated into CO in 1947 he got tenure and was promoted in 1955 to 2nd class engineer. In 1961 he became a 1st class engineer, in 1964 head of the metal works service, 1967 deputy head of the Track and Works department and in 1969 he was promoted to the head of that service.
Specialised in bridges, especially metal structures, he played an important role in replacing the bridges on the Beira Alta line and on the Braga-Faro axis.